Thursday, January 17, 2019

My response to someone challenging my compositional theory today who asks "How do I possibly understand what you are suggesting in your work

My response to someone challenging my compositional theory today who asks "How do I possibly understand what you are suggesting in your work. How do I play this. This makes no sense at all"

I embrace this:

My response:

Here is the point. Use your imagination...I compose to empower the performer. Now if you have a certain rigidity to your approach to composition, you should stay away from my music, but I say this in a way that suggests opening your mind to ask yourself...what is this about?


Take a moment and ask yourself...how do I tackle a notational lexicon which is not taught in the Conservatory.


I write music with the best intentions of finding the exploratory visionaries to execute on my compositions. I am open to questions, provocations and suggestions...always. Bil Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment