Wednesday, April 6, 2016

I Don’t Delude Myself Into Thinking That Anyone Will Be Listening To My Work ... Or Others



Believe me, I know how old the composers are — I’ve been following some of their careers since I was a young freshly M.M. sprig.

If you look at the history of receptivity you will find that composer's careers that burned far more brightly in their time burn in names you have never heard of, for good reason. 

Put bluntly: success, attention, even anthologization in this life guarantee nothing for the future.

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with being a flash in the pan. 

We are, all of us... composers, flashes in a pan. Who cares? 

I don’t delude myself into thinking that anyone will be listening to my work – or that of Johannes Kreidler​, Richard Barrett, Chaya Czernowin​, Brian Ferneyhough, or Dan Tramte​ a hundred years from now. 

Nor could I imagine any question that is less relevant to my thinking.  

Or more relevant...  

Bil Smith​

No comments:

Post a Comment