Tuesday, December 13, 2022

Why No "Performance Notes?"




Why no "Performance notes?"

Yes, I understand, my scores are not traditional in the academic music sense. I know that many composers who create different notational systems and unconventional tablatures will provide performance notes for their scores. 

I guess I am a bit different in that regard in that I do not subscribe to a “one size fits all” approach.  I like to understand the proficiencies/ strengths of each performer that I am working with by listening to them perform other works, whether audio or video performances. It gives me insight as to how to craft specific performance notes for that individual. 

In effect, it changes the aesthetic of the score and ultimately the final output (the performance).  

Back in 2017, the pianist Nicolas Horvath, performed a world premiere of a piano piece I wrote at Carnegie Hall.  I spent several months listening to his previous performances so I could construct a performance directive that accounted for his style and nuanced performance skills.  

I enjoy the journey of learning about the performer and how they will impact the work.  The score is a framework; a foundation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment